Many natives of Eberron believe eladrin are newcomers to the world, but the race has in fact been around since the birth of the world. Eladrin often appear uncomfortable in Eberron owing to the horrors Eberron has recently undergone — horrors that have rippled out to the eladrin and Thelanis.
Background and History
The seven shining cities of the eladrin are called the feyspires, and they have been appearing on Eberron since the Age of Giants. At certain conjunctions between Thelanis and Eberron, the gleaming towers of the feyspires would appear, allowing the eladrin within to emerge and experience the world. Sometimes, a few eladrin would stay, succumbing to the beauty of a place or the charm of its people. At other times, leaving the feyspires was not a choice, such as when giants conquered Shae Tirias Tolai, the City of Silver and Bone. That feyspire appeared in the
wilds of Xen’drik, and giants seized the opportunity to attack and take the population of Shae Tirias Tolai into captivity. The race of elves descended from these displaced eladrin.
Eladrin have had little historical or social impact on Eberron. Before the war, when the feyspires appeared in Eberron, their inhabitants would emerge to trade with nearby settlements. This casual relationship with the world might have continued had the feyspires not been present in Eberron on the Day of Mourning. On that day, the feyspires were severed from Thelanis, becoming permanent parts of the landscape of Eberron. The displaced eladrin are now adjusting to their new circumstances or are searching desperately for a way back to the Feywild.
Most eladrin worship their ancestors, although some grant devotions to select deities of the Sovereign Host, particularly Aureon and Olladra. A rare few who are bitter about their exile in Eberron are drawn to the Blood of Vol.
Although a few communities of eladrin are native to Eberron, most who live the world are inhabitants or former inhabitants of the feyspires. The names and locations of the feyspires are as follows:
- Pylas Pyrial, the Gate of Joy, is in Zilargo.
- Shae Joridal, the City of Emerald Lights, is in Darguun, where the goblins keep it under siege.
- Shae Loralyndar, the City of Rose and Thorn, is in the Twilight Demesne of the Eldeen Reaches.
- Shae Tirias Tolai, the City of Silver and Bone, is in Xen’drik; this haunted ruin has stood empty since it was pillaged during the Age of Giants.
- Shaelas Tiraleth, the Court of the Silver Tree, traditionally appeared in Cyre but has not been seen since the Day of Mourning. It was the largest of the feyspires.
- Taer Lian Doresh, the Fortress of Fading Dreams, is in the Lhazaar Principalities.
- Taer Syraen, the Winter Citadel, is in Karrnath.